Humidifier for Furnace Guide
Furnace humidifiers are best considered when you place comfort in your home above your heating needs. Surely, winter becomes chilly but the discomfort associated with leaving your furnace blazing could be more severe than the colds of winter.
Our humidifier for furnace guide talks about all you should know about humidifier for furnace and how they can help you reduce discomfort in your home during and beyond the colds of winter as many furnace humidifier models can be used all year round to assist in relieving issues related to heating the home like respiratory problems, skin problems, dry sinus, and other medical conditions.
How a humidifier for furnace works?
Humidifiers work by increasing the moisture content (relative humidity) of the home by spreading moisture throughout the home. The moisture dispersed takes the form of mist and ensures the home doesn’t get too stuffy causing discomfort or respiratory dysfunctions.
Do you need a humidifier at home?
While this is more of a rhetorical question, it’s worth answering. Yes, we all need a humidifier at home. Staying safe medically is a thing of worry when winter comes due to the discomforts associated with dry winter air.
Mist humidifiers help you replenish the moisture content in your home, keeping you free from disturbances and discomforts attributed to winter including problems like cracked lips, scratchy throat, respiratory issues, dry sinus passages etc. Also, the moisture spread around by warm mist humidifiers can also make the house bearable and give you a warmer feel.
There are different types of humidifiers to choose from including console humidifiers, tabletop humidifiers, and furnace humidifiers which we would be looking at a few of the best options available in the market later in the article.
Selecting a furnace humidifier – features to consider
Just as there are different humidifier makes/models, their distinct features put in place to make each model standout. When selecting a furnace humidifier, be sure to consider some of the below-listed features as they can define just how convenient to use the humidifier would be.
- Automatic operation: Depending on the unit, you may be permitted to select the range of humidity you’d like to see and the humidifier mains the level automatically.
- Reversible Side Panels: These panels are used to give the unit the best position for maintaining maximum humidity levels. Units with reversible side panels can be placed on either the right or the left side of the ductwork.
- Water Reservoir Change Indicator: Units with this indicator alerts you when it’s time for replacing or even emptying the water reservoir (if you are making use of a drum/bypass humidifier).
- Overflow Protection: Units with a float valve prevent overflow of fresh water replacing the evaporated water by stopping the flow when the desired level is attained.
- Mounting Frames: Units with mounting frames makes installation easy.
- Low Water Cutoff: This feature would make the humidifier turn off when water reservoir drops to a stage lower than the heating requirement.
- Corrosion Resistant: Corrosion resistant units (those humidifiers enclosed in casings of stated feature) ensure the units retain their original look thus increasing the lifespan of the unit.
Furnace humidifier maintenance culture
Maintaining a furnace humidifier is a necessary evil to ensure its longevity and to maintain a proper level of humidity as well as promoting the comfort of humans. Maintaining a furnace humidifier also helps you save money that would have been spent on incessant repairs. To maintain a furnace humidifier, here are a few steps to follow:
- Switch off the power source – The furnace’s power button shouldn’t be switched on to prevent the risk of electrocution.
- Switch off the water source – The tap valve that supplies water to the humidifier should be disconnected before maintenance.
- Open up the clips that bind the distribution manifold and the inlet feed tube together.
- After separating the water distribution manifold (which may be metal or plastic) and the inlet feed tube, the next thing is to separate the manifold and its housing as well as the evaporative screen pad.
- Clean the water distribution manifold properly if it is made of metal.
- Proceed to cleaning the evaporator screen pad with a mixed solution of vinegar and water. You can also use calcium which is able to get rid of some fluid.
- You may have to replace the evaporator pad if it has some deposits of mineral on it. You will also have to confirm that when the furnace is running, the humidistat is sensitive to values of humidity.
- There may be a need to change the solenoid valve if there is no flow of water from it while the humidistat is functioning.
- It is time to couple the dismantled parts upon confirming that all parts of the humidifier are functioning well after cleaning.
TOP PRODUCT REVIEWS
The Honeywell Furnace Humidifier is a flow-thru by-pass whole-house humidifier. This humidifying device is cost effective and it is also easy to maintain. It is very easy to operate and is quite sturdy. The dimension of this product is 18.7 x 18.4 x 13.9 inches and it has a by-pass which carries air to the return from the supply and through the humidifier.
It can cover up to 3000 sq. ft. and its item weight is just 5 pounds. It has a shipping weight of 13.6 pounds. The unit can be reversed to change the orientation of the duct opening from the left to the right. It can automatically turn on and off since it has a humidistat which can be mounted anywhere within the house. The Honeywell Furnace Humidifier installation is straightforward and easy.
PROS OF THE HONEYWELL FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
- It is easy to install
- It comes with a added installation kit
- The price of this device is great
- It is an efficient device. It maintains positive humidity
- Minimal water usage
- It is sturdy
CONS OF THEHONEYWELL FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
- The ducting for the by-pass is small
This Furnace humidifier is useful for room sizes up to 2,700 to 4,500 sq. ft. It can comfortably hold up to 18 gallons daily and it is very easy to install. It does not require a by-pass duct and it is very easy to maintain and clean.
This humidifier distributes humidity efficiently and its built-in fan assists in the process. The weight of this item is 11.4 pounds while its shipping weight is 19.1 pounds. The product dimension is 21 x 17.4 x 13.6 inches and it performs excellently. The package comes with a handy hose.
PROS OF THE HONEYWELL FAN POWERED FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
- It performs just as intended
- It is very easy to install
- It has a good size
- It is sturdy
- The price is good
- It raises the moisture content in the air appreciably
- It is remarkably easy to maintain
- It is neat and has a great look
CONS OF THE HONEYWELL FAN POWERED FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
There aren’t really many cons to talk about for the Honeywell Fan Powered Furnace Humidifier
This is a swift installation, powered- flow through humidifying unit. The Honeywell HE360A humidifier can extend up to 4200 sq. ft. However, there are no installation kits attached to the package and you will have to buy one separately.
The HE360A humidifier offers several mounting options. You can make do with a warm air supply mount or if you have a furnace return air duct then you can mount it over there. It has a unique flow-through design that aids the cleanliness of the device and decreases the rate at which the humidifier is to be maintained. This humidifying unit does not use up much water and it has a 12-month warranty. It has an item weight of 18 pounds and a product shipping weight of 18.1 pounds while the dimension of the product is 21.2 x 17.5 x 16.2 inches. The unit comes with a humidistat and it is pretty easy to change the filters. This unit is to be installed on the supply side and not the return side.
PROS OF THE HONEYWELL HE360A WHOLE HOUSE POWERED HUMIDIFIER
- Installation is easy. It comes with installation video
- The price point is terrific
- It works well as advertised
- Reasonable water usage
- Maintenance is simple and easy. The pads can be changed in just under 5 minutes
- This humidifier is an industrial-strength unit
- It does not take up too much space as it is a decent size
CONS OF THE HONEYWELL HE360A WHOLE-HOUSE POWERED HUMIDIFIER
- The proposed template for cutting the hole in the furnace is big
- Customer service response was not perfect
- The included instructions for installation are for a different model
This rotary disc furnace humidifier is patented. The Desert Spring DS3200 Disc Furnace Humidifier is able to deliver up to 14 gallons per day. It is easy to install and all necessary parts for installation are included in the package.
There are no filters or dirty pads to be changed. There are no required drains and no water is wasted. The product shipping weight is 15 pounds and this humidifier does not require refilling.
PROS OF THE DESERT SPRING DS3200 DISC FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
- It is a well-designed product
- Installation is pretty easy and simple
- All tools necessary for installation are included in the package
- The price is good
- It is easy and simple to maintain
- It raises the humidity level considerably and in a short time
- It is durable and long lasting
- This humidifier does not waste water
- You do not need to change pads and filters periodically
CONS OF THE DESERT SPRING DS3200 DISC FURNACE HUMIDIFIER
- Mineral build up is a problem
APRILAIRE 500 HUMIDIFIER, WHOLE-HOUSE HUMIDIFIER W/ AUTO DIGITAL CONTROL BYPASS DAMPER .5 GALLONS/ HOUR
This is a uniquely designed humidifier that is able to cover up to 3000 sq. ft. The package includes an outdoor sensor and a digital control. Also included are a transformer and a water pad.The unit also has a bypass damper in-built. This humidifying unit can conveniently deliver an evaporative rate of 5 GPH and its rate of water feed is 3 GPH
The Aprilaire 500 Humidifier is able to provide the comfort you have always wanted by making the air as moist as possible. The product has an item and a shipping weight of 7.3 pounds and a dimension of 16 x 10 x 13 inches.
PROS OF THE APRILAIRE 500 HUMIDIFIER
- The installation is pretty straightforward and easy. The instructions on installation are very easy to understand and comprehend
- The price is good
- It runs smoothly and efficiently. it is also able to keep the air moist and the home comfortable
- It does not waste water
- It has a “blower activation” feature
- It is very easy and simple to maintain
- It does not waste water
- It is an advanced humidifier
- It provides adequate comfort for you and your family
CONS OF THE APRILAIRE 500 HUMIDIFIER
- The time required to install it is long
Dry air has done so much harm to many lives and home. Dry air aids the operations of air-borne diseases, viruses, and also bacteria. It has also increased the number of allergy sufferers. There is also the little matter of static electricity which is capable of destroying many of your home appliances and electrical gadgets. The importance of having a humidifier can, therefore, not be overemphasized. It saves your money and efforts you would have put into treating allergies and respiratory disorders. We have taken great efforts to explain the importance of a humidifier in this article. We focused our attention on furnace humidifiers and we also took out time to give an unbiased review of some of the best furnace humidifiers on the market.